Hey Hey ... Mary Kay!

I run a home based business, I am a beauty consultant with Mary Kay Cosmetics. I have been doing this for almost 6 years (in February). I have learned a lot over the years. I was a consultant, then worked my way into the Director position - earned a car, then worked my way back down to a lesser level of stress and time. I stepped down and went back to the roots - I actually SELL the product - and a fair bit of it too. However, with as much as I have learned - every year, about this time, I run into the same issues.
First, I realize that I really, really need to start counting my inventory and reconciling my accounts monthly instead of (ahem) yearly. It always seems like such a huge undertaking so I avoid it like the plague. The reality however, is that it wouldn't be so bad if I would just do it more often! I am going to have to try that this year - it would make tax time not near as frustrating.
Second, I become keenly aware that I did not pay close enough attention in my Accounting classes in college. It's like everything I learned has been forgotten. It sure would be nice to have some of that info back in my head so I could make sure I am writing things off properly.
I guess I should just keep on truckin' though and continue to research my questions as I run across them each year and not stress horribly about it. I am doing FAR better than most women who start an MK biz - at least I have books that I keep haha. I'm not real sure why it is that women start this business and think that they don't have to do any "real work" cause if you are doing it right - then there is some "real work" involved and you should most certainly keep track of your sales, purchases, mileage, expenses, etc. But many that I know do not do this consistently
and just sorta keep a shoebox of file folder that has a million loose pieces of paper in it. Hmmm...if I were their accountant I think I would send them back home! Maybe they do their own taxes though.
I dunno - just some random mutterings from me today since I am obviously doing my year end stuff that should have been done two weeks ago. Sigh
Comments