Sing "All my best friends live in Houston"

The title of this blog post is the lyrics on a song that a few of my friends from my middle school days sang on a tape (yes, one of those cassette jobs that we used to listen to back in the day when I had to walk to school in the snow, up hill both ways!)  for me when I had to move from Houston to Dallas (Rockwall).  It was really the song "All My Ex's Live in Texas" but they changed the lyrics to fit my impending move away from Houston.  

Somehow over the years this tape got lost, but the memory of hearing it when they gave it to me will never be forgotten.  We were young, and so smart that no parents could tell us anything that we didn't think we knew better.  We thought our friendships would last forever and always be as strong as they were at that time.  

Sadly, after I moved to Rockwall the summer before my freshman year, I did not contact or hear from most of these friends again.  We all had other things going on in our lives and life took us each in many different directions as we went through high school and then college.  

With the invention of things like MySpace and Facebook I have been able to find (or be found) several of these friends from my 6th through 8th grade years!  It is unbelievably cool!  It has been about 22 years since I have seen most of these people that I called my friends, and yet it still feels like yesterday in so many ways!  

It is unlikely that any of us will become best friends again and be hanging out in the malls together - - but it is really fun getting to hear about where their lives have taken them and what they have been up to all these years.  It is fun to see pictures of their kids and of them.  
What is crazy is the realization that my oldest daughter is the same age now that I was when I said goodbye to my friends in Houston and moved to Rockwall - to realize that Shayna is now older than I was when I met them in my 6th grade year!  

I think I may have to figure out how to hook up my scanner.  I'm just sure I have a lot of pics from these years that would be hilarious to scan in and post up sometime. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tall tales...and other poop related news

Do you like fruit snacks?

Fall visit to Aroboretum